He US Open is about to start (from August 31 to September 13) and will do so under strict security measures to avoid contagion by COVID-19 among the players, coaching staff, organizers and any other personnel working at the tournament facilities . Next, we break down the details of the security protocol issued by the USTA (United States Tennis Federation):
● All players will travel to New York on their own.
● If you travel to New York and the event is canceled, compensation will be provided to be determined for the cost of the event.
● We have received assurances from the federal government that you and your team will have no problem entering the country.
● The centralized medical environment for the US Open will begin at the hotel. That's where you and your team will take the tests.
● They will have to have one before traveling and will undergo more during the competition at the hotel.
● The frequency of the tests will be 1 or 2 per week (nasal or saliva), although it is subject to change based on the recommendations of the health authorities.
● Daily temperature measurement and symptom questionnaire.
● If a player tests positive, he will be isolated according to medical protocol.
● All players must wear face masks except when training or competing.
HOTEL, TEAM and GUESTS
● As planned today with the approval of the local government, each player will be allowed two hotel rooms. The cost of the first one will be borne by the US Open.
● All players will have the option to rent a private home outside of Manhattan. The USTA is working with a real estate agent to help players find a home (similar to Wimbledon). The cost of renting this house will be borne by the players (estimated total, about $ 40,000).
● Additional services for players provided in the hotel: expanded gym, recovery room, private physical therapy, players room.
● Official transportation will operate between the hotels and the National Tennis Center. The transfer system will consist of a 55 passenger bus with a 25-50% capacity. The driver will be isolated behind a bulkhead. There will be thorough cleaning protocols before and after each trip.
Food and drinks
● The players restaurant will operate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
● Player Cafe will be available to take out food.
● Food can be pre-ordered through the mobile app and delivered to players throughout the site.
● Open air restaurants will be open for player use.
CHANGING ROOMS and GYM
● Changing rooms and gym use will be monitored to keep current social distance protocols, disinfection, cleaning and air ventilation.
● Additional outdoor areas are being explored to enable them.
● Showering will be allowed within social distance protocols and with enhanced cleanliness.
● There will be suites available, such as private areas, for the top 32 seeds, which will be passed on to the next highest ranked players.
● The changing room of the Indoor Tennis Center will also be available.