- The 'taronja' team dethrones the current champion of the competition (78-82)
The ambitious project of Barça has suffered its wreck after being eliminated at the first exchange in the Copa del Rey in Malaga, where Valencia Basket (78-82) has won a deserved victory by Mike Tobey (16 points) to dethrone an opponent who has not been enough with the talent of Nikola Mirotic (25).
After fitting four defeats this season against Barça, Valencia claimed revenge on the day that mattered most to return to the Cup semifinals three seasons later. For its part, the Barca team fits its second loss in the quarterfinals in the last 12 years and gets off the throne after claiming champion in 2018 and 2019.
Only Mirotic and Víctor Claver (15 and 20 valuation) met in a club that accused the little contribution of their pivots and especially their bench, which only contributed 12 points for the 48 that added the substitutes 'taronja', with Special mention also for Aaron Doornekamp (12).
The 84th edition of the Cup began with 24 seconds of silence in memory of Robert Archibald and Kobe Bryant, and it was Claver who imbued himself with the spirit of the 'Mamba' with four triples without fail in the first half. Barça hit the first stretch raised on the shoulders of the Valencian (8-0), but Fernando San Emeterio pulled veteran to activate his team and condemned his opponent to go towing during the rest of the afternoon.
It was difficult for Mirotic to enter the game, the most stunned in the presentation and returning to the court where he had played his last cupper game, the one he left as MVP six years ago and dressed in white. Good defense of Louis Labeyrie over the Barca star, at times as cold as the rest of his team.
Thus, between the end of the first quarter and the beginning of the second Barça spent more than seven minutes without scoring and his laziness extended to the defense, shaken mercilessly by Valencia, who scored a staggering 0-20 partial ( 18-32, min. 14) with prominence for his interiors Mike Tobey and Aaron Doornekamp.
Mirotic is left alone, the champion melts
Svestislav Pesic turned his finger to Malcolm Delaney, much more clairvoyant than Adam Hanga in the game direction, and Barca reacted to the rhythm that Mirotic, his undisputed thermometer, so feared by Jaume Ponsarnau. After the plug of the omnipresent Claver and triple of Delaney, the Catalan club rebalanced the scoreboard just before the break (38-38, min.20), which both teams arrived exceeding 50% of success in triples.
After passing through changing rooms, the Valencia bench completed a huge third quarter again and another large 0-14 partial was scored to let his fans begin to dream (52-64, min.30). Mirotic began to remain very alone on the side 'culé' and his step on the bench coincided with another scoring drought exceeding six minutes.
So the champion started the last quarter 12 points down and Tobey extended the comeback attempt multiplying under the hoops and doing a lot of damage in the offensive rebound. Everything seemed resolved in the absence of less than three minutes (66-76), but Pesic's pupils pulled pride for a final start
With more claw than order, they were filing their disadvantage until they were three points down, with possession and 7 seconds left (77-80). However, Labeyrie committed a very smart foul on Cory Higgins to prevent him from getting up from triple and, in the second free throw of the American, Alberto Abalde took the final rebound. The two free throws of the Spanish eaves topped the Barca body.
–OUTCOME: BARÇA, 78 – VALENCIA BASKET, 82 (38-41 at rest).
BARÇA: Delaney (10), Higgins (10), Claver (15), Mirotic (25) and Tomic (6) – initial quintet–; Hanga (3), Abrines (2), Davies (5), Kuric (-) and Oriola (2).
VALENCIA BASKET: You live (5), Tailor (2), San Emeterio (8), Ndour (6) and Dubljevic (13) – initial quintet–; Labeyrie (2), Colom (9), Tobey (16), Doornekamp (12) and Abalde (9).
–PARTIALS: 18-19, 20-22, 14-23 and 26-18.
– ARBITRATORS: Pérez Pizarro, Cortés and Castillo. Without eliminated.
–PAVILION: Martin Carpena 9,857 spectators.
Get in Touch
Get in touch by shooting an email to [email protected], and we will respond back within 24-72 hours.
- Valverde reveals the reality of Madrid against Levante in defense
- Arrasate: “Winning Granada would bring us closer to permanence”
- Real Madrid leaves the three points in Valencia just like Barcelona
- A fan of Espanyol, arrested for racist insults to Adama Traoré
- El Granada, to break its bad streak at home in Pamplona
- Fury is exhibited before Wilder and claims the supremaca in the heavyweights
- The best of the Barcelona – Eibar match in pictures
- Butragueño: “They have been hands”
- Find out why IKEA puts such rare names on its products
- Tejero, new at en once ’at Camp Nou
- Levante and Valencia, to compensate against Tacon and Rayo Vallecano
- Alarm in Madrid by Hazard
- The first game of the daughter of Sergi Roberto
- Atlético – Villarreal | Another Champions duel
- Liga Santander: Zidane, you are a disaster | LaLiga Santander 2019
- Pedro Sánchez and the lives of others
- The Celtic pulls deeds and imposes himself on the Leganés
- The incredible hole in one of Rahm that agit Mexico
- Morales has begun to assume his new role in Levante
- New setback for the DO Rueda: it has to stop the reduction of grape yields by a resource
- Confirmed: Tomás does not travel to Valladolid
- The Madrid sticker on the Camp Nou marker that accompanies Bartomeu
- Braithwaite: “I won't wash my clothes after hugging Messi”
- Raúl summons Rodrygo
- Pablo Iglesias will be part of the delegated commission that oversees the CNI