MADRID, 26 Mar. (EUROPA PRESS) –
The Slovenian cyclist Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma) has been crowned champion of the 102nd edition of the Volta Ciclista a Catalunya after defending his lead in the seventh and final stage, of 135.8 kilometers with start and finish in Barcelona and in which the Belgian Remco Evenepoel (Soudal-Quick Step) has won.
Roglic, who just a few days ago won the Tirreno-Adriatico, certified his good form at the start of the season and presented his firm candidacy to fight for the Giro d’Italia. With his victory in the general classification, he succeeds the Colombian Sergio Higuita in the list of winners of the Catalan round.
All after a stage that was presumed to be decisive, with a second-category climb, the Alt de Begues, and with six climbs to the Montjuïc circuit and in which the breakaway was neutralized by the peloton 28 kilometers from the finish line.
It was in the third pass through the Alt del Castell when the road cycling world champion Evenepoel launched an attack to which only Roglic – who defended a lead of ten seconds in front of the general – and the Spanish Marc Soler (UAE Team Emirates) responded. ), which stuck to his wheel.
On the fifth lap, the Catalan was stuck and the victory of the day was only within reach of two. Again, as in three other stages this week, Roglic and Evenepoel seemed ready to fight for partial victory, but the Slovenian elegantly handed glory to his rival.
The four bonus seconds were not enough for Evenepoel to assault the lead, which Roglic tied with a six-second advantage. Meanwhile, the Portuguese Joao Almeida (UAE Team Emirates), 2:11 behind the winner, established himself on the final podium ahead of Soler, who said goodbye to the round with a third place this Sunday.
1. Remco Evenepoel (BEL/Soudal-Quick Step) 2:59:24.
2. Primoz Roglic (SVN/Jumbo-Visma) m.t.
3. MARC SOLER (ESP/UAE Team Emirates) a 53.
4. Corbin Strong (NZL/Israel-Premier Tech) 58.
5. Giulio Ciccone (ITA/Trek-Segafredo) mt
1. Primoz Roglic (SVN/Jumbo-Visma) 28:19:10.
2. Remco Evenepoel (BEL/Soudal-Quick Step) a 6.
3. Joao Almeida (ENG/UAE Team Emirates) 2:11.
4. MARC SOLER (ESP/UAE Team Emirates) 2:49.
5. MIKEL LANDA (ESP/Bahrain-Victorious) 2:59.