UEFA defends the action protocol to assist Hungarian Barnabás Varga

“The intervention of the team doctor occurred 15 seconds after the incident”


UEFA has rejected accusations by Hungarian player Dominik Szoboszlai that medical attention to his teammate Barnabás Varga was excessively delayed during this Sunday’s Euro 2024 match against Scotland, and has assured that the attention occurred “at 15 seconds of the incident.”

“The intervention of the team doctor occurred 15 seconds after the incident, immediately followed by that of the second stadium doctor, to carry out a first evaluation of the injury and provide appropriate treatment, according to usual medical procedures,” the organization said. rector of European football in a statement.

In addition, he highlighted that a “qualified emergency team was waiting on the field, in accordance with their protocol, and arrived with the stretcher as soon as the doctors requested their intervention.”

“The coordination between all medical staff on site was professional and everything was done in accordance with applicable medical procedures. There was no delay in the treatment and assistance to the player,” he concluded.

During the 68th minute of this Sunday’s duel in Stuttgart, Varga collided in a dangerous action with Scottish goalkeeper Angus Gunn. He left the field on a stretcher after several minutes of medical assistance and was taken to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with facial fractures and a concussion.

Team officials indicated that surgery was necessary and that he would remain hospitalized at least until Wednesday. Varga’s father later told Hungarian media that an operation had taken place.

Szoboszlai, who along with his teammates had helped place Varga in a recovery position, criticized the medical team for not having come to the field sooner, stating that every second counts in this type of emergency.

Goalkeeper Gunn, who was able to continue playing, wished Varga a speedy recovery in a post on X this Monday. “Relieved to see that Barnabás Varga, the Hungarian striker, is in a stable condition. I wish him a quick and complete recovery and hope to see him back on the pitch in the very near future,” he said.

Scotland was eliminated after the 1-0 defeat, and Hungary, third, will have to wait to find out if it reaches the round of 16, with Varga clearly ruled out.