Valencia already has the mind set on the Champions. After Friday's game, Ches face the Atalanta visit with positive feelings. And although against Atlético the Celades team could not finish the bad run against those of El Cholo, has not beaten them since 2014, on Wednesday they will try to break another curse and achieve what the club has never achieved in 100 years of history: win in San Siro.
San Siro, or Giuseppe Meazza, is the stadium where the black and white entity has played the most times when he has played European competitions. And despite the six visits to the Italian fief, he has never been able to return to Valencia with a victory. Nor in the Champions League, where he has reaped two draws and two losses. Not in Europa League or Fairs Cup where he accumulates two draws.
The curse of San Siro It has not only been applied when they have played against Inter or against A.C Milan. The che visited the site in the 2001 Champions League final in the unforgettable defeat against Bayern Munich.
On Wednesday, they will travel to Milan again to avoid facing any of the teams that usually occupy it and Although it will not be a neutral stadium for Atalanta, Bergamo will not play at home, not even in their city.
The challenge of winning out in the round of 16
In addition to winning in a stadium where they have never been able, those in the capital of Turia also have the challenge of breaking another bad streak that resists them: win as a visitor in the round of 16 of the Champions League.
There are seven occasions in which Valencia has been able to advance the Champions League group stage in history but He has never been able to win in the first tie in the rival stadium. Neither in Paris (1-1), nor in Gelsenkirchen (3-1), against Schalke, not even on his own San Siro, against Inter Milan (2-2), the Valencians have been able to impose themselves on their rival. Of those three qualifiers he only passed the round in which he played against the Italians.
Further, before the round of last 16, when the group stage passed directly to the rooms, Valencia could not win at home in that first round of qualifiers. Not in front of Inter in 2003 (1-0); not before him Arsenal in 2001 (2-1); nor when it was measured at Lazio a year before (1-0), nor before the Hungarian team Ujpest, in the year 1972 (2-1). If they beat Atalanta, those of Celades will take away from the Valencian entity two slabs that have weighed throughout its centennial history and that in just three days they can be forgotten forever.
Get in Touch
Get in touch by shooting an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will respond back within 24-72 hours.
- Christian Minchola, Atlético's child player, dies
- Sergio Ramos joins the #TeamHomeChallenge and leaves some surprises
- Shevchenko, after 10 days of confinement: “It is something very similar to Chernbil”
- PSG are interested in an Atlético youth squad
- Unusual: they confused Messi with his impersonator on French TV and the networks were full of memes
- Nadal: “We continue to adapt to this circumstance that has surpassed us”
- “Klopp told me that playing Liverpool-Atlético was a criminal act and he is right”
- The Champions League could be played in August
- Arbilla: “I see it difficult to play what remains of the League”
- Santander League: The Atlético de Madrid youth squad Christian Minchola dies at 14 years old | LaLiga Santander 2019
- Conmebol strengthens its fight against the coronavirus: Alejandro Domínguez asked FIFA to prioritize health over politics
- IC Herri Harmaila raises funds to fight coronavirus
- Klopp assures that the coronavirus crisis in Madrid affected him when preparing Liverpool-Atlético
- Raúl García would like to end his career as a lion
- Luis Enrique, on Bara: “I have left the doors open in all the clubs”
- La Cultural lowers the salaries of the first team and avoid the ERTE
- 'Collateral' problem in Madrid
- How seven Formula 1 teams will do to help make respirators in the UK
- “Valverde tortured me for 90 minutes, I felt that he was strangling me gently”
- The new Bernabéu does not stop
- The Pucela would touch the permanence extrapolating the results of the first round
- The rayista hobby raises € 33,377 in its fight against the coronavirus
- Eli del Estal: “I have lived a normal life, except four days”
- Juventus get ahead of Real Madrid by Pogba
- The Maracan hospital | Soccer