Norwich took a big step towards permanence in the Premier League after coming out of the relegation positions and putting Claudio Ranieri’s Watford in the well after defeating him 0-3 at Vicarage Road in a direct duel for salvation.

The young American striker Josh Sargent, with a double, was the architect of the second consecutive victory for Norwich, who had just beaten Everton (2-1) on Saturday and stopped being one of the last three classified for the first time this season. However, the ‘canarios’ have played two more games than the ‘hornets’.

The first half provided an even pulse and, despite the fact that Watford dominated the ball more, the game was not very fluid on the part of both teams. And when they managed to get dangerously close to the area, they showed a desperate lack of success in the shot.

Sargent’s foreshortening goal

After the break the game was broken with an unexpected goal due to its gestation and execution. In the 51st minute, Teemu Pukki fought for a ball with Samir, took it down the baseline and his pass was finished off by Josh Sargent with a spectacular foreshortening. The ball hit the crossbar and bounced into the goal, while the VAR conceded the goal considering that there was no foul in Pukki’s struggle with Samir.

Ten minute break due to a blackout

Shortly after the 0-1 draw, the game was stopped for ten minutes due to a partial blackout in a lighting tower at Vicarage Stadium.

Sargent scores again and reds Dennis

Shortly after play resumed, Norwich dealt Watford another blow when Milot Rashica’s cross from the left brought Sargent back into the net with a powerful header (74′). The VAR validated the goal again as it verified that Rashica received in the correct position.

Watford, disconcerted by the blackout and the two goals, made the game even more complicated when Emanuel Dennis was shown a second yellow card for a great squad on Max Aarons (78′).

An own goal finishes off the ‘hornets’

Even so, the ‘hornets’ refused to throw in the towel and Cucho Hernández was about to score in a bad attempt between goalkeeper Angus Gunn and his defenders, but central defender Grant Hanley took the header from the same line. Colombian (81′).

Later Joao Pedro attempted it with a shot that went slightly high (86′) and Moussa Sissoko had a goal disallowed at half turn for offside (90′).

There were 15 minutes left, the 10 minutes of the blackout plus discount, but Watford could no longer survive one last blow, Juraj Kucka’s own goal when he deflected Adam Idah’s killer pass into the net (92′).

Cucho Hernández insisted in search of the goal of honor with a whiplash that repelled the crossbar.

Watford: Bachmann; Femenía (Kucka, 89′), Kabasele, Samir, Hassane Kamara (Sema, 84′); Cleverley (Cucho Hernández, 59′), Kayembe, Moussa Sissoko; Dennis, King and Joao Pedro
​Norwich: Gunn; Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Brandon Williams; Sargent, Sorensen (McLean, 21′), Lees Melou, Rashica (Placheta, 95′); Adam Idah y Pukki (Byram, 86′)
​Goles: 0-1 Sargent (51′), 0-2 Sargent (74′), 0-3 Kucka (p.p.) (92′)
Árbitro: Mike Dean
Cards: RED: Dennis (36′ and 78′) YELLOW: McLean (38′)
Árbitro: Mike Dean
Spectators: 20,782 on Vicarage Road

see game file