Veteran American tennis player John Isner, 35, announced after being eliminated in the quarterfinals of the Delray Beach Open tournament that He is not planning to play the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the season.
Although Isner said he had already made the decision Sunday night, He waited for the quarterfinal match that he played against his compatriot Sebastian Korda who lost 6-3, 4-6 and 6-3, in what was his second defeat against the young tennis player of just 20 years and number 119 in the world.
“It was not an easy decision at all,” Isner said. “I thought about it a lot, but I feel comfortable with my decision right now and I'm looking forward to going home. “
Isner and his wife, Madison McKinley Isner, have two children, Hunter Grace, 2, and John Hobbs, 1, of those who do not want to be away for a long period.
“At this stage in my career and life, I always had the vision of being able to travel with my family. Of course, that would not be the case in Australia this year, “Isner explained.
Upon arriving in Australia, Players must serve a 14-day quarantine before playing a pre-Open event, which begins on February 8.
“Not going to Australia does not mean that I am not committed, because I still am, to the sport of tennis,” Isner clarified. “I am healthy, I feel very good and I will continue to take care of my body. Once the Tour returns from Australia, I hope to play as complete a season as possible.”
Isner, who has played 12 of the last 13 years at Melbourne Park, he had his best classification at the Australian Open, in the 2010 and 2016 editions when he reached the fourth round.